Some people choose to be a volunteer for this clinical trial for different reasons. Some people want to have more interactive involvement in the treatment that they receive, while some others want to have an active role in helping other people with their condition. People with mesothelioma disease often think " since there are no curative treatment or whatsoever for this disease might as well take the clinical trial because i don't have anything to lose, if its fail then so beat it". Those courageous people contribute greatly to the understanding of their condition and make an advance to medical sciences options for mesothelioma treatment.
Clinical Trials Phase
Generally there are 3 - 4 phase of clinical trials for any treatment or medication, these are the list of each phase :
Phase I : The first phase usually a small trials, start by recruiting small amount of patients (30 or less patients) with no specification on the type of cancer that the patients have. This phase is considered completed when laboratory testing indicate that a new treatment might help in treat cancer. This phase is conducted to see :
- The green zone dose range (safe range)
- What are the side effects
- How the patients body synchronize with the medicine
- Is the treatment shrink the threat level of the cancer
On this first phase trial, patients may have a simultaneous blood tests, as the researchers study how your body react to the medicines that are given, and how the medicine affecting the patients. Any side effects may be recorded.
The participant of this phase are often patients with advance cancer stage and they generally have try every treatments that are available. They may have an advantage by doing this first phase of the clinical trials if the medicine that were tested can reduce the sick state that they are in or not.
Phase II : Not all the treatment that were tested from phase I trial are in phase II trial. Opposite from the first phase, this phase of trial generally being used for patients with the same type of cancer. This phase goals is to find out :
- The type of cancer that most effected by this treatment
- Advance study on what are the side effects and how to manage it
- Advance study on the best dose to use
- If the new treatment works good enough to test in the next phase ( phase III )
Phase III : This phase goals is to compare the best treatment that currently available with a new treatment that are being tested. This trials compare :
- New treatment with the standard treatment
- Different doses or ways of giving standard treatment
- New radiotherapy with the one that currently available
Phase IV : This phase will be conducted after a medicinal drug indicating a good result in recuperating cancer patients and have been given a granted license. This phase study at the medicines that are already prescribe by doctors rather than the one that are currently in development. Many pharmaceutical companies use this phase because :
- Need more comprehensive data about the safety and side effects of the medicine
- Need to know more about the long term risks and benefits of the medicine
- Need to know how well the medicine works when its used more widely than in a clinical trials.